Carol Roberts speaking at ICPHSO NW Regional Workshop Reception on June 19, 2018
At the conclusion of ICPHSO’s 2018 Northwest Regional Product Safety Training Workshop in Seattle, WA, Belinda May, President of the International Consumer Product Health and Safety Organization (ICPHSO) announced a new Inclusion Initiative to be led by ICPHSO member, Carol Roberts, an Associate in Cooley’s London Litigation department, and part of the International Product Liability and Product Compliance Team. Below are notes from Carol’s kick off discussion explaining the newly announced initiative, which she presented at the Amazon Meeting Center, Seattle, Washington on June 19, 2018, after the one-day regional workshop.
Empowering others: it’s about including those who aren’t or weren’t included in the conversation and decision making.
- Benefits of doing this are really well documented – what could this mean for product safety?
- ICPHSO is already established as an organization that looks to include and involve: we see this in the committees that chip in to make these conferences happen; in the range of panels and represented stakeholders and the emphasis on ensuring a broad range of voices are heard.
- This will make my job easier – and harder!
- What do we hope for, for this task force?
- Hope to identify, develop and share best practices and experiences on what successful diversity and inclusion looks like.
- Hope to continue to build on existing opportunities to network and learn from a diverse range of stakeholders and on a diverse range of topics.
- Hope to continue to ensure ICPHSO’s place at the heart and forefront of thinking in the product safety community, with a strong focus and leading presence in this important area.
- Inclusion is in the name and its the goal – I’d love to hear any ideas and welcome others getting involved. Please do get in touch with me. Here’s a link to my email address: Carol Roberts.
As ICPHSO celebrates its 25th Silver Anniversary, we will apply 25 years of shared collaboration with the aim of taking ICPHSO’s longstanding commitment to stakeholder inclusion to an even higher level within the product safety community. Congratulations to Belinda May for proposing and implementing this initiative and to Carol Roberts for leading the initiative. Please send your thoughts and ideas to Carol or me as we continue to move ICPHSO to an even higher level in the future.